Hold on. One second.
I’m just licking the caramel from my fingers and brushing off cookie crumbs from the computer so I can try to describe how perfect these cookie bars are.
I don’t think I’ll be able to give them justice.
There are so many flavors mixing together to create the perfect explosion of flavor. Sugar cookie, caramel, chocolate, and peanut butter. Did I miss any ingredient that could make these better?
So the base is sugar cookie. But don’t be intimidated, I used a sugar cookie mix. And if you want to go the extra mile and/or have an awesome sugar cookie recipe that you love, then use that!
Next up is a melty homemade caramel using just three ingredients: brown sugar, butter, and sweetened condensed milk. Easy enough.
And finally, the top is a fudgy layer of chocolate and peanut butter chips mixed with a little coconut oil. And here’s the great part…if you aren’t a fan of peanut butter you can just do chocolate. If you aren’t a fan of chocolate, just do peanut butter. And if you are obsessed with chocolate and peanut butter like I am, then this is totally going to make your taste-buds go wild!
Sugar cookies. Melty Caramel. Fudgy peanut butter and chocolate…
I think I’m going to have just
one eight more bars… and lull my self into a sugar-induced coma.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup snack size Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix and ingredients the mix calls for or sub 1 of any sugar cookie dough
- 1 cup Nestle peanut butter and milk chocolate morsels or can just sub milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil separated (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper. (That is important or you won't be able to get these bars out very easily!)
- Prepare the sugar cookie mix according to package directions. You should have about 1 cup of sugar cookie dough.
- Press the sugar cookie dough into the baking pan and bake for about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile combine the brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Mix until the butter is melted and incorporated with the sugar.
- Pour in the sweetened condensed milk and stir constantly for about 20 minutes on low heat. The mix should resemble melted caramels.
- Pour over the sugar cookie layer and let cool and set up for about 2 hours. (You can speed this process up by placing it in the fridge)
- In two different microwave safe bowls, separate the chocolate chips from the peanut butter chips. In each bowl add 1/4 tsp. of coconut oil and then melt the baking chips in the microwave. As a general rule of thumb, I melt for 30 seconds, stir for 30 seconds, and then put them back in for about 15 seconds and then stir until the chips are completely melted.
- Pour the chocolate chip layer on first, then the peanut butter chip layer on.
- Using a butter knife swirl the layers on top and then put aside to set up.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.