Delicious and easy sweet honey chipotle chicken tacos made easy with a slow cooker. You can control the level of spice in these tacos very easily!
Today is moving day!! We signed the papers over the weekend and will be moving into our place all day tomorrow. And probably throughout the next couple of weeks of course. Unfortunately, moving with a kiddo and lots of furniture isn’t like the good ole college days where I could switch apartments and be moved in within a couple of hours.
The husband and I were talking about that. What happens when you get married?! We both remember being able to move ALL of our stuff from one apartment to the next by just using the trunk and backseat of our cars. And now WHOMP a 16-foot moving truck is packed full of stuff.
And the boxes. Oh my word. So many boxes! So wish me luck and hopefully I’ll have some more recipes for you all later this week, but if the blog is quiet, you know I’m buried in those boxes wishing I were cooking up yummy food for us all!
Speaking of yummy food…these TACOS. Yum and easy. The chicken is cooked in the slow cooker and then slathered in the yummiest sweet chipotle sauce ever. Which, by the way, don’t be scared about “Chipotle” in the title if you are afraid of the heat! The husband can NOT handle spice, like hardly at all and he loved these. The secret is knowing what you like as far as spice.
I used chipotle chiles in adobo. However, I did not use the actual chipotles in this sauce because of the known weakness for spice in my family. Instead, I used a few teaspoons of the sauce mixed in with the chilis and it was just the perfect amount of spice for the husband and the babe.
Now, if you are someone that loves spice and craves chipotles, then you can definitely add a chili. Maybe even two. I recommend blending everything and doing it all to taste – add slowly because it can get HOT in a hurry! P.S. I found the canned chipotle in the isle with the Mexican food next to enchilada sauces and other canned chilies.
You may love the sauce so much you’ll want to double it for these tacos! Other additions that we loved: lots of guacamole (my favorite), sour cream, cheddar cheese, some shredded lettuce, and chopped tomatoes. Really, you can just go crazy with the toppings because that’s what makes tacos so much fun!
Oh, and don’t forget a squeeze of fresh lime and some chopped cilantro, I love the flavor those both add!
- 4 very large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 teaspoons chipotle chiles in adobo**
- 1 tablespoons and 1/2 apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Chopped lettuce chopped tomatoes, chopped cilantro, fresh lime, guacamole, sour cream, cheddar cheese
- Combine the brown sugar, chili powder, salt, cumin, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Stir and then rub evenly over the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker and pour the chicken broth over the meat.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Once the meat is completely cooked through, drain the liquid and using two forks, shred the meat.
- For the sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend or process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust ingredients to preferences (you may want more chipotle or a little more salt or pepper). **I used just the liquid from the chipotle cans and didn't even use the actual chilis to make this sauce very mild. If you want it hotter, you can add a chili or even 2. Just add slowly and to taste to make sure you don't get it too hot**
- Mix the sauce with the shredded chicken until completely combined.
- Fill up tortilla shells with the mixture and top with whatever you like - sour cream, guacamole, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, cheddar cheese, cilantro, and a squeeze of fresh lime.
More slow cooker meals: