These double chocolate muffins have no butter, no oil, and no flour. They are made with very little sugar and taste fantastic – sure to be a hit!
These muffins are basically all of my favorite things rolled into one.
Double chocolate, peanut butter, skinnnnny.
Yeah, these are skinny slash healthy. Like absolutely no added butter or oil. And there isn’t even flour either. Yay for gluten-free!
So, are they nasty? Not even a little. They were gone in about a day at my house.
So next question…do they have super weird ingredients that you can only find in a health food store? Nope, nada.
Super easy stuff. In fact you probably have all the ingredients or close to all of them.
The butters and oils are replaced with a mixture of plain Greek yogurt and unsweetened applesauce. You can just use one or the other if desired though.
The other ingredient that may seem foreign is oat flour. That is just regular ole oats that have been ground (blended or put in a food processor) until they are a flour consistency. But make sure to measure the oat flour AFTER they have been ground, and not before!
The rest of the line-up is pretty much normal stuff – 1 large egg, cocoa powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, salt, and baking powder.
To sweeten these muffins I used honey and brown sugar. Only two tablespoons of each for all 9 muffins.
Which, yeah, this recipe makes nine muffins. So, when you bake them, make sure to fill up the other three cavities halfway with water. This helps to ensure even baking for all of the muffins.
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons oat flour regular oats that have been blended
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray the 9 of the cavities in a muffin tin and fill the other three up halfway with water (ensures even baking).
- Do not use muffin liners! The muffins won't come out well.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cocoa powder, oat flour (blend regular oats until they are a flour consistency. Make sure to measure the oats AFTER being blended), baking soda, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the peanut butter (do not warm up), applesauce, Greek yogurt, vanilla, and honey. Beat until completely combined.
- Beat together dry and wet ingredients and add in the egg. Make sure to not overstir or overmix - that is what makes muffins dense.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and (if desired) top each muffin with a few more.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 13-15 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
More skinny muffins: