These healthy ice cream sandwiches are made up of “cookies” (made with peanut butter, oats, honey, rice krispies, and protein powder) and filled with banana chocolate mousse “ice cream” sandwiched in between.
These ice cream sandwiches – seriously fun stuff going on.
Mostly fun, because well, ice cream sandwiches are always fun. Basically my childhood summers consisted of eating ice cream sandwiches or wishing I was eating ice cream sandwiches.
Summer just wasn’t summer without them. And seeing as I do not see spring (let alone summer!) in the foreseeable future (it snowed yesterday!) I’m just going to pretend it’s summer and eat lots of ice cream sandwiches.
If you aren’t convinced about eating lots and lots of ice cream sandwiches (hello swimsuit season), what if I told you these are healthy? Like no-sugar added… Interested yet?
These are good enough to eat for breakfast even! Or pre or post workout.
Now that is an ice cream sandwich I could get on board with!
Plus how fun is it that they are inside out – like chocolate on the inside and vanilla on the outside?!
The cookies are incredibly simple and super easy to make. The line-up of ingredients: peanut butter, old fashioned oats, rice krispies cereal, pinch of salt, some vanilla extract, and ice cream sandwich protein powder.
And the “ice cream” is made from frozen bananas, some cocoa powder, a lil bit of peanut butter, some milk and some vanilla extract. I used unsweetened almond milk, but you can substitute a different type of milk if desired.
These cookies are packed with protein, taste amazing, and are so simple to make. What are you waiting for?!
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp. Ice Cream Sandwich protein powder
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup rice krispies cereal
- 1-1/2 very ripe medium bananas; peeled, sliced, and frozen
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon almond milk, or sub another milk
- 1/2 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small microwavable bowl, combine the peanut butter and honey.
- Microwave for about 30 seconds and then stir until completely combined. Stir in the vanilla extract, salt, and protein powder. Mix well.
- Add in the old-fashioned oats and rice krispies cereal. Mix until completely combined.
- Separate “dough” into small balls and form cookies. Place in the freezer.
- Blend bananas in food processor or blender. Add cocoa powder, milk, peanut butter, and vanilla.
- Mix until smooth.
- Remove from the food processor or blender and place in an airtight container in the freezer. Freeze until mixture is solid.
- Scoop out the ice cream in between two cookies.
- Enjoy immediately or store in the freezer in an airtight container.
Want some more protein powder recipes?