Crockpot Quinoa, Sweet Potato, & Chicken Fajitas
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast (or 2 small ones)
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 small sweet potatoes (2 and 1/4 cup), peeled and chopped
- 2 cups (13 miniature) sweet bell peppers (red, yellow, orange)
- 1 fajita seasoning mix
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, low fat sour cream, green onions
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa. Drain and rinse the corn and black beans.
- Combine the quinoa, chicken (cut into 4-5 even pieces), corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth in a crockpot.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into small pieces. Add to crockpot
- Remove the tops of the peppers and slice into long strips. You can choose to leave the seeds or remove them and add to the crockpot.
- Add the fajita seasoning packet and stir everything together.
- Let cook for 3-5 hours on high watching it carefully so the quinoa doesn't burn. Do not cook on low.
- When finished, shred the chicken, fluff the quinoa, and stir everything together,
- Serve on flour or corn tortillas and top with optional toppings.
For a vegetarian meal, simply leave out the chicken.
Recipe by Chelsea's Messy Apron at http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/crockpot-quinoa-sweet-potato-chicken-fajitas/