Crockpot Quinoa, Sweet Potato, & Chicken Fajitas
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast (or 2 small ones)
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 small sweet potatoes (2 and 1/4 cup), peeled and chopped
- 2 cups (13 miniature) sweet bell peppers (red, yellow, orange)
- 1 fajita seasoning mix
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, low fat sour cream, green onions
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa. Drain and rinse the corn and black beans.
- Combine the quinoa, chicken, corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth in a crockpot.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into small pieces. Add to crockpot
- Remove the tops of the peppers and slice into long strips. You can choose to leave the seeds or remove them (I left the seeds in mine) and add to the crockpot.
- Add the fajita seasoning packet and stir everything together.
- Let cook for 3-5 hours on high watching it carefully so the quinoa doesn't burn.
- When finished, shred the chicken, fluff the quinoa, and stir everything together,
- Serve on flour or corn tortillas and top with optional toppings.
For a vegetarian meal, simply leave out the chicken.
Recipe by Chelsea's Messy Apron at http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/crockpot-quinoa-sweet-potato-chicken-fajitas/