A detoxifying quinoa salad bursting with flavor from tomato-sweetened quinoa, sweet bell peppers, black beans, corn, sweet potato, cherry tomatos, cilantro, and a hint of lime.
Who knew eating healthy could be so fun?
I’m ready for more veggies in my life. And this salad does just the trick. It’s bursting with good for you veggies. Namely sweet potatoes, sweet peppers, cherry tomatoes, and corn to start.
But feel free to adjust this salad to your liking. It’s super nice and easy that way. Switch up some veggies here or there and it will be just perfect for you. Which I truly believe you have to like the food you are eating if you want to keep on track with eating healthier.
To be able to call this salad “detoxifying” I couldn’t have it drenched in dressing. But trust me on this one, you won’t even miss a dressing. There is so much flavor from all the vegetables that a dressing seriously would have been overkill.
And don’t worry about the quinoa being bland. Because I know sometimes quinoa can be a little bland. I have just the trick to fix that.
It’s tomato bouillon. Have you tried this yet? It’s fantastic with flavoring a whole pot of quinoa. And don’t worry if you don’t like tomato, because it definitely doesn’t taste tomatoey. (Yes, I recognize this is not a word…) The tomato boullion adds so much flavor to the quinoa and just heightens the taste of this dish. I highly recommend using it in this dish and whenever you cook quinoa for that matter!
So here’s to 2014 and starting it off with a healthy detox salad! You know, so I can have some milk-chocolate meltaway cookies tomorrow…
- 1 cup quinoa thoroughly rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Knorr tomato bouillon
- 1 and 1/2 cups (~3 small) 1/2 sweet potatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup mini sweet bell peppers de-seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium lime or 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Optional: equal parts balsamic vinegar + olive oil to drizzle on the salad
- Combine the rinsed quinoa, water and tomato bouillon in a medium pot. Follow package instructions to cook the quinoa.
- Meanwhile, poke holes in the sweet potatoes and cook them in the microwave for about 5-6 minutes or until tender all the way through. Remove and let cool before peeling of the skins and chopping them into smaller pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the rinsed corn, rinsed black beans, chopped mini sweet bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes.
- Add in the cooked quinoa and cooked sweet potatoes. Mix together.
- Add in the cilantro, season to taste with the salt and pepper and the lime juice.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container.
If you liked this, you’ll want to try: