A graham cracker cookie base topped with melted milk chocolate and toasted miniature marshmallows make this incredible deep dish skillet. Ready in under 30 minutes!
And skillet desserts.
And dessert in general.
Can PERFECTION please be it’s name?
It’s incredibly simple with all the flavors you know and love from S’mores. Even a touch of campfire – thank you cast iron skillet.
The base is a delicious graham cracker tasting cookie. It’s made with the usual cookie suspects – sugars, eggs, flour, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and buttahhh. Don’t know why I wrote butter like that, but it was necessary. Trust me.
Anyways the cookie base also has mashed up graham crackers – 3 whole sheets. And some graham flour. Which if you don’t have graham flour, do not worry! You can substitute regular flour and then add in 2-3 more graham cracker sheets. PS- A graham cracker sheet is both squares!
The cookie graham cracker base gets baked for about 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Or until lightly browned. As soon as you remove it, it will be pretty puffy and fill most of the skillet. It will deflate
As soon as you remove it from the oven, quickly spread chocolate chips over the graham cracker cookie – a whole bag! I prefer milk chocolate, because, well, that’s a traditional S’more in my mind. But use what you’d like – semi-sweet, dark, white…
And then top with lots and lots of marshmallows. About 2 and 1/2 cups to be exact. More if you’d like. You want to top the chocolate and marshmallows on the cookie as soon as possible. That way the chocolate will melt and the bottom of the marshmallows will too.
To melt the top of the marshmallows and get them a pretty browned color, you broil them in the oven OR you could use a kitchen torch. I broiled mine at 550 degrees for about 30 seconds. Watch the marshsmallows carefully during broiling. One second they will be a beautiful toasty brown and the next – burned! Trust me on that one…these photos happen to be when my babe was sleeping since the first batch ended up burned when I got distracted with him… (He’s so stinking cute – I get distracted A LOT!)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup graham flour (see post for substitutions)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 full graham cracker sheets
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips
- 2 and 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the white sugar, brown sugar, and butter. Beat until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, graham flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir.
- Grind the graham crackers in a food processor or blender until crumbs. Stir in with the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and press into the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove and immediately top with the bag of chocolate chips. Spread the chocolate chips around to coat the entire surface.
- Then add the marshmallows. Press them on to cover the chocolate chips. You can add more or subtract some depending on preference.
- Broil at 550 degrees for about 30-45 seconds or until the tops of the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Allow to cool and fully set up before serving - about 30 to 45 minutes. Or you can serve it hot after about 10 minutes, it just may be a little bit more messy!
Craving more skillet desserts?