A simple creamy chili cheese dip made in the slow cooker.
In the summer, our dinner meals tend to be a little different than they are the rest of the year. With so much fresh produce we tend to always have some kind of huge fruit salad and/or a tray of roasted veggies.
With those fruit or veggies salads we’ll usually grill up some kind of meat (this honey-lime chicken has been our favorite!) or occasionally we’ll have some kind of chip dip. It’s not the most conventional dinner, but one of our favorites. And besides, aren’t finger foods the best way to enjoy dinner?!
This is one of the dips we’ve enjoyed as part of a dinner for a few different meals now. It’s ridiculously easy to make and it’s so tasty! I’m sure come football season it’s going to be on regular rotation for snacks, but for now it’s perfect being dinner 🙂
Besides the chili (without beans), the rest of the ingredients are super easy. Cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, and green chilis or jalapeños.
I wouldn’t recommend using a lower fat cream cheese as it has the tendency to make this dip more water-y. Also the cheese you use is important. If you use pre-shredded cheese it tends to be stringy and even a bit greasy in the dip. Use freshly grated cheese with a strong flavor – either a Mexican or sharp/medium cheddar is perfect!
The salsa and green chilis (or jalapeños) are what give this dip some heat. You can scale this dip to be spicier or milder depending on personal preferences. Use a mild salsa and green chilis for the least amount of heat (or no chilis at all) and use a medium or hot salsa with chopped jalapeños for the most heat. The favorite chip to use in this dip has definitely been corn chips (and that’s coming from a tortilla chip lover!). Corn chips pair perfectly with the flavors of this dip!
- 2 ounces cans Hormel Chili without beans 15 each
- 1 ounces package full-fat cream cheese 8
- 1 cup and 1/4 freshly grated Mexican or medium/sharp cheddar cheese*
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 ounces can chopped green chilies or jalapeños optional, 4
- Chopped green onions optional
- Corn chips for serving
- Spray a small slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Pour in the cans of chili, the cream cheese, grated cheese, salsa, taco seasoning, and green chilis or jalapeños (if desired for some extra heat).
- Place on the lid and turn the slow cooker to low. Keep on low, stirring occasionally, until all of the cheeses are melted and the dip can be stirred into a creamy dip.
- Keep on warm temperature for serving.
- If desired, garnish with green onions and serve with corn chips.
Highly adapted from this Chili Cheese Dip
More dip recipes: