A simple detoxifying salad – couscous and kale mixed with a lemon vinaigrette make for a flavorful combination.
I actually don’t love kale, but I have found some ways to really like it.
Enough to crave it and eat it at least once a week. That’s borderline love I’d say.
Kale just needs a little TLC and it has the potential to beat out any other lettuce. One of those ways is to massageit. Sounds weird right?
Yeah. definitely weird. But it works. I can’t remember where I read it, but I read something about massaging kale breaks down parts of the structure and makes it go from a bitter taste and a tough texture to a lot softer and a whole lot more flavorful.
And the other way I like kale is sometimes in a fruit smoothie, but that’s another recipe for another day.
Back to massaging – when I am preparing kale for a salad, I’ll rinse it out really well and briefly massage it under the cold water. Then I cut it and rinse it again and then dry it.
The massaging part comes in when I have the dressing all ready to go. I pour a tiny bit of the dressing over the chopped kale and then really work the dressing into the kale and massage it. Works like magic, cause it is deeeelicious.
And the rest of this salad is pretty simple. The couscous take about 5 minutes to prepare and they just get stirred in with the kale. The nice thing is, the couscous pretty much stick to the kale and so this isn’t one of those salads that has all the good stuff at the bottom of the bowl and the lettuce on the top. (I hate when that happens!)
Although, I guess the black beans and mango bits do have a tendency to sink to the bottom. But hello, so much easier to pull up to the top than teeny-tiny little bits of couscous!
The mango and red pepper just get chopped up and tossed right along with everything else.
Pour on the simple dressing (just shake the ingredients together in a jar). Top with sunflower seeds and cheers to good, healthy, clean eating. Happy Sunday everyone!
- 5 cups kale
- 1/3 cup couscous + 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 mango
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 can black beans
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Thoroughly wash and briefly massage the kale under cold water. Chop and measure. To measure five cups, pack the kale in a measuring cup. Rinse the kale one more time and dry.
- Meanwhile prepare the couscous according to package directions using the water and olive oil.
- Remove the peel and pit of a mango and chop it up. Remove the stems and seeds of a red pepper and chop that as well.
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- In a tighly re-sealable jar, combine all of the dressing ingredients and shake until they are combined. Pour a small amount of dressing over the prepared kale.
- Using your hands, massage the dressing into the kale. (Read post for importance of this step.)
- Pour the rest of the dressing (or as much as desired) over the kale and mix well. Add in the mango, red pepper, and black beans.
- Stir in the sunflower seeds right before serving.
- Enjoy immediately.