Let’s just pretend for a moment that Halloween wasn’t like less than a week ago and everyone is sick of candy…
Because these are basically a homemade mash-up of two types of candy bars-Reese’s cups and Crunch bars.
But here’s the good news. There is Cookie Butter inside of these chocolate cups. And I’m pretty sure there isn’t any Halloween candy that has cookie butter inside. Oh, and as far as I’ve seen, a Reese’s-Crunch combination hasn’t hit candy shelves in stores.
Not yet, anyways.
But I’m keeping my eye out for it, because this is seriously a winning combination. Crunchy milk chocolate with creamy cookie butter interior…Mmmmmm.
So, I tried this recipe several times to make sure the ratios are just right. If you follow the measurements exactly, you should have just enough chocolate and cookie butter filling for 12 mini cookie butter cups.
First, I melted the chocolate with coconut oil in the microwave. To get the “Crunch” bar texture I added just 2 tablespoons of rice krispies. You’ll want to spoon out an equal amount of chocolate-rice-krispie mixture into the bottom of each mini muffin. Perfect.
While that’s setting up, combine the cookie butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. It will look too powdery and be hard to stir at first, but keep at it. Continue stirring and smashing the cookie butter and eventually you will get a thick cookie butter dough.
Here’s where self-control is going to have to kick in. You’ll pinch off little bits of the dough and roll it into 12 small and equal balls. I think the first time I made these, I ran out of cookie butter dough by the time I had only rolled out 6 balls. Basically I was pinching off dough, rolling some of it into small balls and then eating shoveling the rest in my mouth. Please tell me I’m not alone in thinking it’s hard to make treats and not eat everything before the treats are even finished being made…
Flatten the cookie butter balls a little and stick them on top of the chocolate-rice-krispie mixture. Melt the rest of the chocolate with coconut oil and pour an even amount on top. Chill until they are set up and then you can enjoy them! Easy enough eh?!
- 1/4 cup cookie butter or biscoff spread
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 3/4 c + 2 tbsp. milk chocolate chips, separated
- 2 tbsp. rice krispies
- 1/2 tsp. coconut oil, separated
- Line a mini muffin tin with mini muffin cups.
- Combine the cookie butter or biscoff spread with the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Stir until a thick dough is formed.
- Pinch of small bits of the dough and make 12 little balls. Smash the balls with two fingers to get a flatter shape.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 1/4 tsp. coconut oil. (I microwave for 30 seconds, stir for 30 seconds, microwave for 15 seconds, stir, and then its ready!)
- Combine the melted chocolate with 2 tbsp. of rice krispies. Stir well and then spoon an even amount of chocolate mixture into the bottom of each of the muffin cups.
- Place the flattened balls of cookie butter dough on top of the melted chocolate mixture.
- In the same bowl melt another 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp, of chocolate and 1/4 tsp. coconut oil.
- Pour an even amount of chocolate over all of the cookie butter cups.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
Looking for more miniature desserts?