Miniature chocolate tarts filled with a light strawberry mousse filling and covered with a milk chocolate drizzle.
If you haven’t decided what you are going to make for a Valentine’s Day dessert, then let me point you in the right direction. Namely right here.
These miniature chocolate-covered strawberry tarts are a perfect dessert. Perfect in several ways. First (and most importantly) they are super tasty. Second, they are incredibly (& secretly) easy. And third, they have pretty much the quintessential Valentine’s ingredients: strawberries and chocolates.
If those reasons didn’t convince you, then I’m not sure what could. However, if you are unconvinced by this dessert (perhaps you don’t like fruit and chocolate to mix??), please allow me to convince you to still stay on this post. …Because (drumroll please), I have teamed up with some fantastic bloggers to bring one lucky winner a KITCHENAID MIXER! In, none other, than a bright cherry red color.
Earlier in the post, I mentioned how stinkin’ easy these cute little tarts are. The chocolate base is just 3 ingredients – a chocolate cake mix combined with some butter and 1 egg. And the filling? 3 ingredients too! Strawberries, vanilla pudding mix (dry), and some cool whip. Finally, the topping? Just some milk chocolate and a touch of vegetable oil.
So, if you are doing the math with me, and by with me, I mean on my calculator, (because I couldn’t do mental math if my life depended on it) that is 8 ingredients. Not too bad for how decadent these little guys look!
After the chocolate base ingredients are combined, the “dough” gets rolled into small balls and placed in a miniature muffin tin (that has been greased), it bakes for about 7-8 minutes and then you press down the center. I used the back of a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, but a soda cap would work too!
While the bases are being baked, the filling is super easy. Remove the strawberry stems and puree a cup of strawberries. Stir in some (dry) vanilla pudding and then fold in cool whip. I piped the filling into the cups with a wide star tip, but you can spoon the filling in alternatively. I piped the chocolate on with a #2 tip, but you could put the chocolate in a resealable bag and cut off the tip for an easy DIY version of a #2 decorating tip.
And there you have it, a deceivingly simple Valentine’s dessert!
|Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Tarts|| || |
- 1 Devils Food Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup strawberries, stems removed
- 4 tbsp. vanilla pudding (dry)
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a mini muffin tin with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chocolate cake mix, egg, and butter. Stir until completely combined (it will be very thick). Roll balls out the dough and place the balls in the mini muffin tin. The dough balls should fill up the mini muffin tin about 3/4ths the way full.
- Bake the chocolate base for about 7-8 minutes. Remove and immediately indent the center with the cap of a soda pop bottle or the backside of a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon.
- Let cool for about 3-4 minutes and then remove from the muffin tin and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, remove the strawberry stems. Place the strawberries in a food processor and pulse until completely liquid. Stir in the vanilla pudding and then fold in the Cool Whip.
- Using a star tip pipe the strawberry filling into the cooled chocolate base. You could also use a spoon to fill up the chocolate base layer.
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips and vegetable oil. Place in the microwave for 30 seconds, remove, stir for 20 seconds, and return to the microwave for an additional 15 seconds. Stir until melted. (Return the chocolate to the microwave for 15 second increments if not melted all of the way.)
- Put the melted chocolate in a resealable bag and cut of the very tip (or use a #2 decorating tip) and pipe the chocolate over the strawberry filling.
Check out these other fun Valentine’s desserts from the awesome group of bloggers that have teamed up to bring you the kitchenaid giveaway:
Raspberry Coconut Cheesecake Quinoa Bites with Dark Chocolate Glaze from Food Faith Fitness
Strawberry Glazed Vanilla Bean Doughnuts from Girl vs. Dough
Pink Vanilla Cupcakes from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
Valentine’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars from Cooking for Keeps
Cream Cheese Funfetti Cookies from The Messy Baker
Cinnamon French Toast Lattes from A Kitchen Addiction
Dark Chocolate Pancakes from Eat. Drink. Love.
Red Wine Creme Brulee from Diethood
Big Dipper Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake!
Peppermint Bark Brownies from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
Berry Cheesecake Bars (skinny, no-bake) from Roxana’s Easy Home Baking